Out of an abundance of caution, UNH and OFN decided to postpone the March 25-27 Fundamentals of Opportunity Finance training in Durham, NC.
We are committed to protecting the health and safety of our event attendees and our staffs. With that highest priority in mind, we decided that postponing this event was the most prudent course of action. OFN will post notice of the new date once it has been set. Thank you for your patience and understanding.
(Notice Date: 11/23/2020)
The Fundamentals of the Opportunity Finance Industry course is designed for practitioners who are interested in expanding their knowledge of the basics of the opportunity finance industry which provides financing and financial services to low-income, low-wealth, and other disinvested communities.
Learn more about the program on the Carsey School of Public Policy's website.
The goal of this certificate course is to develop the knowledge and capacity of community development finance professionals so that they can productively contribute to expanding their organizations’ capacity and impact. The objectives are to:
- Provide participants with an understanding of the history, models, products, and players in the opportunity finance field
- Expose participants to best practices and trends in financing, capitalization, and operations of community development financial institutions (CDFIs)
- Inform participants about impact measurement and evaluation as well as key policy issues impacting the industry
- Learn about portfolio policies and management, and underwriting loans to CDFI borrowers
Who Should Attend
Participants who will benefit from attending this course are new or recent entrants into the field of opportunity finance who want to expand their knowledge of the fundamentals of the industry.
- Professionals changing careers
- Current employees of CDFIs—focused on those who entered the field within the past three years
- CDFI investors and funders, including banks and foundations
- Government employees involved in community and economic development
The course is jointly offered by the Carsey School of Public Policy at the University of New Hampshire and Opportunity Finance Network.
The Carsey School of Public Policy is also proud to offer eligible employees and board members of OFN and OFN member CDFIs a $2,500 Education Award to pursue a Master in Community Development Policy and Practice degree available at the University of New Hampshire’s Carsey School of Public Policy. Learn more in the program flyer or contact Jordan Hensley at Jordan.Hensley@unh.edu or 603.862.1463.